Website vs domain name vs web hosting: 3 different pillars on the same page
“Ideas are worthless until you get them out of your head to see what they can do.” This is the kind of quote that makes you wonder: “what am I waiting for, after all?”.
Starting a business online is an exciting idea that challenges your brain to leave the comfort zone and step up to the entrepreneurs’ world. At the same time, it’s possible to feel some shivers on the spine once you become more aware that you know almost nothing about how to start a website (and what do you need for it).
Create a website from scratch. Selecting the right web hosting and the domain name. It’s quite natural that you are not familiar (YET) with these concepts.
So, keep calm and keep reading. In this article, you’ll find all the info you need to get familiarized with these 3 pilings of online businesses (some definitions, differences between them and what makes them be on the same page).
Table of Contents
- What Is a Website?
- What Is a Domain Name?
- What types of domain names are there?
- Why do I need a domain name?
- How do I choose a domain name for my business?
- How can I check if a domain name is available?
- How do I register a domain name?
- How much does a domain name cost?
- Do I need to purchase hosting at the same time I buy my domain?
- What is the difference between hosting and domain?
- Can I have two domain names pointing to the same website?
- Web Hosting
- How can ChemiCloud help you?
What Is a Website?
Think about your website as a physical shop with large windows. It’s up to you what visitors will see in the shop windows and how appealing the info exposed will be for them.
Why do I need a website?
A website is a credible way to develop a business online. It’s not enough to offer a product/service. It’s essential to make available some key-info about it and offer your visitors a reliable contact address for details and orders.
What do I need to create a website?
To start a website, you need :
- a domain name;
- a website builder;
- relevant content (texts and visuals);
- a web hosting provider;
- a plan to promote it.
What’s the difference between websites and webpages?
While a website is a collection of web pages under a unique domain name, a web page is a single page on the internet.
What Is a Domain Name?
Continuing the example above, if your website is a shop with large windows, your domain name is the (internet) address of your shop. To find your website, visitors have two ways: to tape your site domain name in a browser or to accidentally run into it. Behind every domain name stands an IP address (e.g., 220.127.116.11) that is not so human-friendly.
What types of domain names are there?
The suffix domain names are becoming more and more creative. If 5 years ago, you had to choose from one of the general TDL (Top Level Domains) .com, .org. , .net, .info, etc., nowadays you can personalize even this suffix (.guru, .wedding, .blog, etc.)
Why do I need a domain name?
With a personalized domain name for your website and email address, your business will have a professional look. In the physical world, where do your customers prefer to find out about your products? On your own shop or on an open space shop gallery where your brand’s name is somewhere between the lines?
How do I choose a domain name for my business?
Choosing the domain name can be fun but challenging at the same time. Choose wisely a name that reflects well the core activities of your business, and also, it is easy to remember.
How can I check if a domain name is available?
There are lots of online tools and ways that allow you to check if a domain name is available or not. It’s enough to type on a browser the domain name you are interested in or enter on Google search bar some relevant phrases (like “available domain check”), and you’ll get the answer in just a few secs.
How do I register a domain name?
You can order your domain name from a dedicated web page or check if your hosting provider is offering it as a part of its plans.
For instance, at ChemiCloud, you can register a brand new domain name free of charge (available only for annual terms). We will renew your domain free of charge, as long as you have an active hosting service with us.
How much does a domain name cost?
Usually, a generic domain name costs between $10 and $20 per year. By choosing a smart web hosting plan, you can avoid spending this money.
Do I need to purchase hosting at the same time I buy my domain?
It’s not a must but can be to your advantage. What it’s essential to keep in mind is that a domain name without web hosting is useless. It’s not enough to baptize the address of your website. It’s also essential to place the address on a valid map.
What is the difference between hosting and domain?
Web hosting and domain name are two different services that work together. While without a domain name, your website can’t be found on the web, without web hosting, you can’t create and publish it.
Can I have two domain names pointing to the same website?
Possible – yes. Recommended – no. Multiple domains can point to the same website in two ways:
- redirect one of the URLs to the primary domain
- generate an alias for one of the URLs (but only one will be a primary domain).
The ranking is an important objective for every online business. Multiple URLs for one website are not only confusing for your customers but also less effective from the SEO perspective.
Do I need technical support?
If you’re a beginner, you’ll probably need a lot of guidance from the start, and keeping in touch with the host provider’s team will be essential.
If you’re tech-savvy, you won’t need the same guidance, of course. But when you finally call technical support, your questions will be more in-depth and more specific. And, that means what you need is highly-qualified support members to communicate with.
Shared hosting, WordPress hosting, Reseller Hosting or VPS Hosting? What should I choose?
Shared hosting will cost you (most probably) less than others, and this is important if you have a limited budget. At the same time, if the hosting provider isn’t a performant one, there could be some limitations and disadvantages that shared hosting involves. So, before making any purchase, be sure that you’ve chosen the best hosting provider.
WordPress hosting – while any plan can run WordPress, the server environment is specifically optimized for WordPress. This means you can enjoy faster page times, a higher level of protection against WordPress-specific threats, and other features such as automatic WordPress updates or WordPress staging.
Reseller hosting is an opportunity for (small and mid-size) companies to make a profit by reselling an existing product (web hosting). Usually, the reseller buys the hosting product at a discounted price and sell it to their clients at a higher price.
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a hosting solution that uses isolated server solutions for each user.
What do I risk if you choose the wrong host provider?
Lots of things depend on the web hosting you choose:
What criteria should I select a reliable web hosting provider?
There are some important clues able to help you easily understand if a provider is the right one (or not):
- over 80% of reviews are positive;
- confirmed reliable support – by customers;
- 99,99% Uptime guarantee;
- transparent prices – nu “unlimited” offers;
- money-back policy;
- allows you to easily migrate or build your website;
- fast loading speed;
- 24/7 server monitoring;
- secure and user-friendly client area.
How can ChemiCloud help you?
It is in the ChemiCloud team’s DNA to keep close to the customers from their very first step in the online world. We’ve designed offers that stand out through support and their focus on what our customers really need.
That’s why with ChemiCloud you’ll be able to:
- Build a performant website from scratch. Our drag and drop website builder makes it easy to create a professional website without any technical skills. Choose from almost 350 beautiful themes and use a variety of plug-ins (e.g., YouTube, Image Galleries, Google Maps, etc.);
- Save money. E.g., for our annual plans, we also offer the free domain name for life.
- Generate extra-profit. You can join our web hosting affiliate program or choose one of our reseller hosting plans.
- Stay on solid hosting ground. We can guarantee 99.99% Uptime, 24/7 tireless support, web hosting made easy through intuitive tools and platforms, and clear terms of service and absolutely no hidden fees.
- Rely on performant and secure services. Keep your website safe against constant threats with our custom web application firewall rules. Combined with real-time 24/7 server monitoring, we can stop the majority of web application attacks even before they start.