The File Manager allows you to manage your site through HTTP rather than an FTP tool. While not as sophisticated as most FTP tools, File Manager gives you all the basic functionality necessary to manage your site.
You can easily edit, copy, move, delete, and change permissions on the files hosted on your account by using File Manager.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to access the File Manager, then go over the features available there.
1) Log into cPanel.
2) Look for the “FILES” section and click on “File Manager”.
3) You’ll automatically be logged into your account’s home directory of your account.
4) You can easily navigate between folders, just click on the folder name and the sub-folders and the content of the folder will be visible in the right window.
Create a new file/folder
To create a new file/folder please follow these steps:
1) Click on the +File or +Folder icon located in the top-left corner depending on what you need to create a file or a folder.
2) A new window will open, here you’ll have to enter the name of the new file/folder and the folder in which this file/folder should be created in, by default this will be added in the home directory of your account.
In the above example, we’ve created a file named file.html in the /public_html folder. Next click on the Create New File button.
That’s it; the file file.html is created in the account’s public_html directory.
Edit a file
To edit a file please follow these steps:
1) Navigate to the folder where the file is located.
2) Select the file you wish to edit by clicking on it and hit Edit button:
3) After you make the necessary changes just click on the “Save Changes” button to make them permanent.
Upload a file
1) Navigate to the folder where you want to upload the file. We’ll use public_html as an example.
2) Click on the “Upload” button located in the top menu.
3) Select the file you want to upload from your computer or drag and drop it from your computer to File Manager’s upload tab.
4) A progress bar will appear after you select the file when the upload is complete at 100% you can go back to File Manager.
That’s it. Now you know how to upload a file using the online File Manager in cPanel.