This tutorial will cover how to transfer a domain from 123-reg to a different domain provider.
Things to Consider Before Transferring Your Domain Away from 123-reg
- Before going further with the domain transfer, it is essential to know that when a domain name is transferred away, the name servers associated with your domain stay the same during the transfer from one registrar to the other. So for example, if your domain name is using the default name servers of 123-reg, those name servers will be preserved during the transfer and you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
This means that if you switched to another web hosting provider, and your website was migrated already, before initiating a domain transfer make sure that your domain name is pointed to the name servers of the new provider. As we previously mentioned – you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
- Domain Name Registrations and Web Hosting are separate services. The domain name transfer process will not automatically migrate your website. If you are a ChemiCloud customer and you wish to transfer your website from 123-reg, please submit a migration request from your client area. Our migrations experts will move your existing sites and emails free of charge, seamlessly, and with no downtime.
- The transfer of your domain name will include your domain renewal with another year. So for instance, if your domain is due to expire on the 1st of January 2025, once the transfer is complete, the new expiration date will be the 1st of January 2026.
- Ensure that the domain has not been registered or transferred in the last 60 days.
- Ensure that the domain is in the ‘Active Period’ and not in the Redemption Grace Period’ or ‘Pending Delete’ period.
How To Transfer A Domain From 123-reg
Step 1: Click here to open 123-reg’s Login page. Once the page opens, go ahead and log in.
Once you’ve logged in, click the little man in the top right corner of the page and click My Account in the menu that appears.
Step 2: When your account opens, under Manage Active Products, look for Domains, and to the right of that, click the green Manage button.
Step 3: After the Manage Domain screen opens, look down on the page for Domain transfers and click Manage domain locking to open this option.
Looking for a 123-reg alternative? 👀 Join the growing club of happy customers who made the switch to better, faster web hosting!
Step 4: On the Manage Domain Locking screen, click the toggle to turn the domain locking OFF.
Below you can see the domain locking is off:
Step 5: Click the back button beneath the locking toggle to return to the Manage Domain area.
Next, look again beneath Domain transfers and click Request Auth Code:
How to Request a Domain Transfer to ChemiCloud
Once you have your EPP code and have confirmed the domain is unlocked and privacy is disabled, follow the steps to initiate the domain transfer.
We’ll assume that you have already unlocked the domain at its current registrar and that you also have the authorization code (sometimes called an EPP key) from 123-reg.
1) Head over to our Domain Transfer page and enter the domain name you wish to transfer to ChemiCloud and the domain Transfer Code (EPP) in the appropriate text field (your current domain registrar should provide this code).
2) Click the “Order Now“ button.
3) You will be asked if you require hosting as well. Click the “Continue“ button to finalize only the domain transfer without hosting.
Click the ‘Checkout‘ button to send your domain transfer request.
A domain name transfer can take up to six (6) days to complete. Once the domain name transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation by email.
That’s it! You know how to transfer your domain away from 123-reg, whether with another company or us. (But we are pretty awesome, lol).