In this tutorial, we will be covering how to transfer a domain from HostGator to a different domain provider.
Things to Consider Before Transferring Your Domain Away from HostGator
- Before going further with the domain transfer, it is important to know that when a domain name is transferred away, the name servers associated with your domain stay the same during the transfer from one registrar to the other. So for example if your domain name is using the default name servers of HostGator, those name servers will be preserved during the transfer and you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
This means that if you switched to other web hosting provider, and your website was migrated already, before initiating a domain transfer make sure that your domain name is pointed to the name servers of the new provider. As we previously mentioned – you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
- Domain Name Registrations and Web Hosting are separate services. The domain name transfer process will not automatically migrate your website. If you are a ChemiCloud customer and you wish to transfer your website from Hostgator, please submit a migration request from your client area. Our migrations experts will move your existing sites and emails free of charge, seamlessly and with no downtime.
- The transfer of your domain name will include the renewal of your domain’s with another year. So for instance if your domain is due to expire on 1st of January 2025, once the transfer is compete, the new expiration date will be 1st of January 2026.
- Make sure that the domain has not been registered or transferred in the last 60 days.
- Make sure that the domain is in the ‘Active Period’ and not in ‘Redemption Grace Period’ or ‘Pending Delete’ period.
How To Transfer A Domain From HostGator
Step 1: Login to your HostGator Portal.
Step 2: After you’ve logged in, click Domains on the left side of the Portal.
Step 3: Find the domain you’re transferring in the list of domains and click the More button.
Step 4: In the More menu, click the padlock on the left side.
Step 5: Toggle the domain lock to “Locking OFF” and click the blue Save Domain Locking button.
Step 6: Now that the domain is locked, you need to obtain the EPP Key, or Transfer Code. To do this, click the blue Get EPP button.
Step 7: Copy the EPP code to your clipboard and paste it into a Notepad or text editor file for safekeeping for now.
Next, you need to disable the domain privacy feature, if you have purchased this from HostGator.
Step 8: Click the Detective Icon on the left menu of the domain editor.
Then click the circle/dot next to Public, and click the blue Save button.
How to Request a Domain Transfer to ChemiCloud
Once you have your EPP code and have confirmed the domain is unlocked and privacy is disabled, follow the steps to initiate the domain transfer.
We’ll assume that you have already unlocked the domain at its current registrar and that you also have the authorization code (sometimes called an EPP key) from HostGator.
1) Log into your lab then go to Domains section of your lab’s dashboard and then click the Transfer in a domain under actions area.
2) Enter the domain name you wish to transfer to ChemiCloud and the domain Transfer Code (EPP) in the appropriate text field (this code should be provided by your current domain registrar).
3) Click the “Order Now“ button.
4) You will be asked if you require hosting as well. Click the “Continue“ button to finalize only the domain transfer, without hosting.
Click the ‘Checkout‘ button to send your domain transfer request.
That’s it! Now you know how to transfer your domain from HostGator to a different domain provider.