In this tutorial, we will cover how to transfer a domain from WordPress.com to a different domain provider.
Things to Consider Before Transferring Your Domain Away from WordPress.com
- Before going further with the domain transfer, it is important to know that when a domain name is transferred away, the name servers associated with your domain stay the same during the transfer from one registrar to the other. So for example, if your domain name is using the default name servers of WordPress.com, those name servers will be preserved during the transfer and you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
This means that if you switched to another web hosting provider, and your website was migrated already, before initiating a domain transfer make sure that your domain name is pointed to the name servers of the new provider. As we previously mentioned – you won’t be able to change the name servers until the transfer is complete.
- Domain Name Registrations and Web Hosting are separate services. The domain name transfer process will not automatically migrate your website. If you are a ChemiCloud customer and you wish to transfer your website from WordPress.com, please submit a migration request from your client area. Our migrations experts will move your existing sites and emails free of charge, seamlessly, and with no downtime.
- The transfer of your domain name will include the renewal of your domain with another year. So for instance, if your domain is due to expire on the 1st of January 2025, once the transfer is complete, the new expiration date will be the 1st of January 2026.
- Make sure that the domain has not been registered or transferred in the last 60 days.
- Make sure that the domain is in the ‘Active Period’ and not in the ‘Redemption Grace Period’ or ‘Pending Delete’ period.
How To Transfer A Domain From WordPress.com
Step 1: Log in to your WordPress.com client area.
Step 2: After logging in, go to your Domains page (My Sites → Manage → Domains)
Step 3: Select the domain you want to transfer from the list and click Transfer Domain.
Step 4: Select Transfer to another registrar
Step 5. In the next window, you will see a message explaining that your domain first needs to be unlocked and Privacy Protection (if active) removed. Click Update Settings and Continue
Step 6. The next page will confirm that you have been sent a transfer code (also known as an “auth code” or “EPP code”) to your registrant email address.
How to Request a Domain Transfer to ChemiCloud
Once you have your EPP code and have confirmed the domain is unlocked and privacy is disabled, follow the steps to initiate the domain transfer.
We’ll assume that you have already unlocked the domain at its current registrar and that you also have the authorization code (sometimes called an EPP key) from WordPress.com.
1) Log into your lab then go to the Domains section of your lab’s dashboard and then click the Transfer in a domain under the actions area.
2) Enter the domain name you wish to transfer to ChemiCloud and the domain Transfer Code (EPP) in the appropriate text field (this code should be provided by your current domain registrar).
3) Click the “Order Now“ button.
4) You will be asked if you require hosting as well. Click the “Continue“ button to finalize only the domain transfer, without hosting.
Click the ‘Checkout‘ button to send your domain transfer request.
That’s it! Now you know how to transfer your domain from WordPress.com to a different domain provider.